Course Description: The Community Interpreter® International
The Community Interpreter® International is a comprehensive certificate program that meets the minimum requirements for professional community interpreting. This nationally recognized certificate can open doors for interpretation in the hospitality industry, government, educational system, social services, and nonprofit organizations.
The Community Interpreter® International is an interactive, skills-based program that covers topics such as ethics and conduct, basic skills (from pre-session to post-session), positioning, terminology, modes of interpreting, steps for sight translation, intervention strategies, cultural mediation, and other vital skills and protocols.
MODULE 1: THE PROFESSION
- An overview of medical and community interpreting today
- National ethics
- How to assess your performance
MODULE 2: PROTOCOLS AND SKILLS
- Basic protocols (such as positioning)
- Message transfer skills (how to interpret)
- Interpreting modes
- Memory skills and note-taking
MODULE 3: STRATEGIC MEDIATION
- How to make decisions
- Intervention skills
- The Strategic Mediation Model
- Cultural mediation
MODULE 4: PROFESSIONAL IDENTITY
- Who are you? Where do you fit in?
- Professional practice
- Introduction to legal interpreting
MODULE 5: THE INTERPRETER’S ROLE
- Managing your role
- National standards of practice
- Self-care and professional development
The Community Interpreting® International course has a cost of $755 per participant. The fee includes:
- All instructional materials, including a copy of the 453-page textbook The Community Interpreter®: An International Textbook (2015), and the 229-page workbook, The Community Interpreter®: An International Workbook of Activities and Role Plays (2015).
- One-time access to Language Proficiency Test.
- Quality instruction in small groups.